Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pole & Yoga: Poga?

Before I begin, I would like to officially announce that I made it into the amateur division of the BC Pole Fitness Association championships coming up September 15th, in Campbell River, BC. The Canadian Finals will be in October in Vancouver. This will be my first real competition.

I've been injured for the past month, and only last week started back at the studio, with a new training schedule. I now only train 3 times a week for 1.5-2 hours, with extensive stretching and controlled warm ups/cool downs. The new rule is: no pole two days in a row.  I've also hit yoga pretty hard, and am increasingly becoming interested in Ashtanga Yoga. I have a hip and back opening routine I do every morning, a yoga inspired warm up, and various Power Vinyasa routines I do throughout the day on my off days. Below are the links to the videos (no instructors so far). All in all, they make me feel stronger, my range of motion is increasing every day, and it is great for keeping a clear head (as well as increasing creativity)!

My Daily Morning Yoga (25 minutes)
  1. Morning Yoga straight from bed with Tara Stiles



  2. Open Hips Routine with Tara Stiles



  3. Open Back Routine



Warm Up Stretches
Combined with some light dance warm up moves, I basically shorten this routine to 20 seconds per move, and turn it into more of a Vinyasa type, to create a very effective warm up before practice.



Power Vinyasa Yoga Routines
I do all or a selection of these one at a time at random throughout the day (on my off days) if I'm tight on time, or I put them back to back for a longer session.

  1. Intermediate Yoga Routine with Aaron Hicks



  2. Release and Uproot



  3. Balance in a State of Flux

  4. Sweet Embrace

      

Weekend Hatha Sessions
Below are some relaxing, longer sessions I do on the weekends to help me further with my flexibility issues. These are hard for me to do, as not only are they painful, but they are boring (considering I function at higher RPMs than most people).

  1. Hip Opening Class



  2. Yoga for the Spine


I also try to get a cardio session in on the weekends. Due to my chronic knee problem from track, I am now averse to running. Since it's sunny right now, I'm rollerblading more. Once the weather goes, I'm going to start playing some Volleyball again, and get on the rowing machine (20 minutes).

Improve Your Splits Routine
I haven't tried this one yet, but I'm very excited to have found it and can't wait to see if it works! Judging by the comments, it is a good one. Did you know that in Yoga-Talk, the split pose is called Hanumanasana, and translates into "Monkey Pose". If I think of it this way, maybe it will become easier (or at least, funnier).




I also have a whole line up of routines I haven't tried yet, including the 7 Chakras by Guru Havar, some beginner Ashtanga Yoga routines, and more Vinyasa Power flows.


On a more frustrating note: as usual, the poles at competition will be horrible, slippery X-poles, on rickety stages, and only 10 feet (minus the stage height, so really 9.5 ft or so...). Curse you X-pole, your stinginess and Chinese products! You are lucky you operate in an industry with little standards and athletes who have no other choice but to use your crappy poles!


No comments:

Post a Comment